03 February 2009

Embracing the Incredibly Unexpected

This post is going to be short and sweet as I have to be up for work in four hours. But I wanted to update you all on the progress of the Quest for Publishing! (Is it just me, or should their be trumpet blasts whenever one reads that?)

As you all know, I've been agent-hunting (sans the gun) for my novel, ANJIDIA, for several months now, sometimes more actively than others. Lately, I've been on an active kick (7 queries this weekend and 5 mid-week last week). Well, that culminated today in my entering my baby in its first contest.

What's the prize of this contest, you ask? A publishing deal with Penguin Group.

What's the contest, you say? Amazon Breakthrough Novel Award.

I thought very seriously about the potential ways entering this contest would affect my long-term career. And in the end I decided it was a good choice for me. If any of you lovely vistors are unpublished authors with a spare manuscript and several hours of time lying around, then by all means, join me in the deep end.

If not, there may come a time in the not-so-distant future that I call on you all to rally behind me, to write Amazon reviews raving about my book (so long as you believe it rave-worthy), and eventually to vote for on Amazon.com.

Until then...

I'll definitely keep you posted. I'm slated to hear about the quarterfinals around March 16. Please wish me luck.

Oh, and because I think it worth mentioning, Penguin and Amazon have partnered with CreateSpace.com to sponsor the award. I'd never heard of the site before, but I find it intriguing. Though, the idea of self-publishing still terrifies me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've heard of CreateSpace through NaNo. It's supposed to be nice and it's legit. So no worries there.

If I even had half of one of my novels finished and edited to a decent shine, then I'd join you, but I'm not even close to finished or a nice spit shine edit on any of my works.

I wish you luck though.

Samantha Elliott said...

Thanks for the support! I'm looking forward to the day when I can return the favor.

Unknown said...

This context rocks for you and Aryli. I will be the first to write a stellar review (having, of course, already read the novel helps significantly) ... and suggest it win top prize!

E. Van Lowe said...

I've been off line for a few days and missed your last post, but... THAT IS AWESOME! I am so excited for you. I know your baby will rock that contest. And when the time comes, I will post a glowing Amazon review. Keep us posted.

Samantha Elliott said...

I will certainly keep you all posted. (I couldn't stop myself if I tried.) Let's just hope that my pitch gets me through to the quarterfinals, and the excerpt gets me through to the semis. I have faith that good ol' Anj will take care of the rest. ;)

Kat said...

Awesome! Congratulations on entering, wishing you all the best.

Samantha Elliott said...

Thanks, Kat! Much appreciated.

Anonymous said...

sam! this is so cool! keep us posted!