03 January 2011

They're Called Goals, Not Resolutions

It's that time of year, and as a person who is too easily seduced by things like lists, I'm not going to start 2011 off with a list of my own. But I can't help the fact that the start of a new year makes people think of all the things they'd like to do in the upcoming year, or the fact that I'm one of those people.

My major goal, as relevant to this blog, is to resume my writing with vigor. To that end, I've added a little motivational tool to my blog to help me stay focused. As you can see from the progress bars to the left, I've got a new untitled work in progress -- a YA supernatural thriller. And I'd also like to have finished my rewrite of ANJIDIA -- which I've decided to break up into three separate novels -- by the end of this year.

Four full drafts is a mighty tall order considering I'll also be job-hunting and relocating, and whatever else life throws at me, but I'm more excited than intimidated. We'll see what the year brings. But I'll be working hard to bring the things I want to myself.

So what's your major goal for 2011? And how are you going to stay motivated?

1 comment:

Martin Willoughby said...

I've set myself some small goals (finishing my novel - HAH) and also laid the foundations for some others that will be better if I start them later in the year (exercise - it'll be warmer in the spring).

As for motivation - doughnuts. Keep up with the writing and I will allow myself a doughnut...or seven.