15 April 2009

Embracing Tax Day

There are some things in life that will always be viewed as pains-in-the-butt to be slogged through and resented — like taxes. Very few people (and I withhold any judgment of them) enjoy sitting down with dozens of receipts and forms to enter financial information into little boxes. 

I certainly don't. In fact, I put it off for months (completing them only two weeks ago), despite the fact that I received all of my necessary tax documents by the end of January and the fact that I was going to be getting a decent refund. Yes, the IRS owed me money and all that was stopping them from returning that money to me was my own reluctance to fill out a few forms (which only took about 20 minutes, by the way).

What? Is? Wrong? With? Me?

Who drags their feet on receiving money? Apparently, I do. And I know I'm not alone.

It made me start thinking about what else I've been dragging my feet on that could be great for me. And why. 

I'll give you three guesses, but I bet you'll only need one. 

Writing. And more specifically, revising/editing ANJIDIA so that I can start the query process again and more forward with AFTERLIFE OF THE UNDEAD. The worst part is that it's just like dreading filing my taxes; it can only lead to good things — good things that won't happen if I don't get the editing done. So what's the holdup?

Frankly, it's a frame-of-mind problem. Much like query writing and pitching and really every part of the publishing process that isn't awe-inspired, frantic writing, most writers treat editing/revising like the bane of their existences, like a chore, like something they just have to get through, like a necessary evil.

Were I an author on a deadline, maybe that attitude would make sense. But, considering ANJIDIA has not yet been picked up, this time really provides me a chance not only to improve the manuscript, but also to hang out in a world I love with characters who fascinate me for a little while longer.

I think a revision of my thinking is what's really in order. The question I must ask myself when approaching any task henceforth should be: do I want my refund or not?

To which I shall forever more respond: Yes, please. Thanks!

3 comments:

Traci said...

I TOTALLY know what you mean. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

This is definitely the WORST TAX DAY imaginable for us. So I mailed that sucker off at the last possible minute. Sigh.

Samantha Elliott said...

Knowing's half the battle, right, Traci?

And I'm sorry it was bad this year, Maleesha. Hopefully, next year, Uncle Sam will be hooking you up!