30 September 2008

Character Profile: Draven

To continue the character profile series that stemmed from this post, I will be discussing Draven, the fan favorite and rebel leader of ANJIDIA (the novel I am shopping out now), as per my lovely Bow-Tie's request.

NOTE: Because this work is currently unpublished, answers may be intentionally vague to avoid spoilers.

About Draven: As the leader of the rebellion, Draven is charming and take-charge. He also has a tendency to keep things very close to the vest. Age isn't a fixed concept in Anjidia, but Draven has matured to what would be the equivalent of a man in his late twenties in our world.

a. What initially prompted me to write about him. I knew that Draven was going to exist from the moment that I first thought about ANJIDIA beyond the first scene that came to me. But he changed quite a bit throughout the writing process. In fact, Draven began his journey through my mind as a prince! (For those of you who haven't read the story, there are no princes in my book.)
b. One of his best traits. Draven takes everything on himself--the rebellion, responsibility for his family, et cetera. He will go to any lengths to take care of those obligations.
c. One of his worst traits. Draven takes everything on himself. What can I say? It's a great liability as well. A lot of pressure is associated with carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders, and Draven knows that better than most.
d. How easy/difficult I find it to write him. Draven isn't difficult to write, per se. However, he did change quite a bit. I think it's most accurate to say that he is surprising to write. He is one of the characters whose scenes changed (if only a bit) during the editing process, as his character had changed so much throughout.
e. The moment where I feel that I truly captured him. I think that I truly captured the "essence of Draven" when I rewrote a scene between Aryli (the book's narrator and protagonist) and Draven that happens toward the end of the book. I had originally envisioned the scene unfolding like that, but in the first draft, it wasn't right. Happily, that wasn't the case for the revised versions.
f. My plans to write him in the near future. It is very conceptual and theoretical at this point, but I am vaguely planning to write a sequel to ANJIDIA that features Draven as its narrator. We'll see how that pans out, but I would love the opportunity to bring him back.

No comments: