04 October 2008

Character Profile: Kainin Demouban

The character profile series (started by this post) continues with a request from my Kage-chan, to take a look at Kainin, the villain of a fantasy novel, which I worked on several years ago, that is dead (as opposed to shelved like SOC). Sad, no?

About Kainin: Kainin was a genius inventor and scorned ex-cop of the Intergalactic Police Force in his mid-thirties. He was the universe's most wanted criminal, and he had used his evil genius to create a time machine that would take him back to medieval Earth, where he could rule as a God among men because of his superior technical knowledge. His perfect plan was complicated by the tenacious protagonist, but they both wound up in an unknown world had had to forge a very shaky alliance to survive.

a. What initially prompted me to write about him. I needed an antagonist to get my protagonist to this other world. When my protagonist walked into Kainin's laboratory, Kainin was just...there.
b. One of his best traits. He was a genius--one that was capable not only of understanding scientific and technical things, but also of reading and manipulating people. It was a very useful tool in his arsenal.
c. One of his worst traits. He was a self-serving, manipulative jerk. I'd say that was worst.
d. How easy/difficult I find it to write him. I found it difficult, only because I didn't want him to come across as cliched or archetypal. He was easy to understand, but difficult to get across uniquely.
e. The moment where I feel that I truly captured him. I wrote very little of this story. I don't know that I ever truly captured him.
f. My plans to write him in the near future. Unfortunately, Kainin will not be coming back to the world in this form. Kage-chan has adopted him and is using a mutated version of him in her manga. Kainin also served as an unconscious model for the main villain of ANJIDIA. So, I suppose that he will be with us in spirit always.

No comments: